The 411 on SMUD Rebates for Windows: What Sacramento Homeowners Must Know
When you think about SMUD (the Sacramento Municipal Utility District) you probably don’t think about your windows—I know I didn’t used to. I just thought of SMUD as the company that I paid my electric bill to in exchange for keeping my lights on, my fridge cold, and my AC humming along all summer.
I think most folks feel about the same way, which is why maybe not enough people are aware of SMUD rebates for windows. It’s pretty easy to find information online about some of SMUD’s rebate programs, you have to do a bit of digging to find information on window rebates. That’s why, today, I want to talk about the 411 on SMUD rebates for windows for Sacramento homeowners.
SMUD Rebates for Windows When You Upgrade Your Home’s Energy Efficiency
SMUD’s window rebates, which are part of their Seal and Insulate rebate program, are pretty darn incredible for Sacramento homeowners. That’s because the folks at SMUD understand just how important windows are for overall home energy efficiency. Leaky, old windows can be a drain on your home’s energy resources and, of course, your wallet.
To help provide incentives for homeowners to upgrade their windows to new energy efficient options, SMUD offers a window rebate of $500 to homeowners who are already Seal and Insulate customers, i.e. people who have had their ducts sealed and upgraded according to California Energy Code Standards. While receiving the window rebate does require you to deal with your ductwork first, the good news is that SMUD offers a $3000 rebate for that project. It’s sort of a win-win situation!
If you are indeed a Seal and Insulate customer with SMUD and are interested in taking advantage of the window rebates, there are a few requirements to be aware of in order to qualify:
- Your new windows must have their NFRC ratings labels intact
- You must have at least 50 square feet of new windows
- Your new windows must have a U-Factor of at least .30 and a solar heat gain coefficient (SHGC) of at least 0.25
As long as you’ve checked all of these boxes, you can apply for the rebate.
The Benefits of Better Windows Using the SMUD Rebate
Of course, the window rebate is certainly not the only incentive for homeowners to upgrade their windows. While getting $500 is exciting, so are the benefits you’ll reap for many years after your windows are replaced. Here are a few of the things you can look forward to once your home is fitted with energy efficient windows:
- Better curb appeal: Getting new windows is like giving your home a makeover. It really makes a huge difference when it comes to the curb appeal on your home. Plus, if you decide to sell, you can expect about an 85% return on investment when it comes to installing new windows.
- A more comfortable home: Energy efficient windows do wonders for increasing the comfort of your home. Say goodbye to draftiness and air leaks for good. You can also expect that your new energy efficient double pane windows will keep out dust and allergens, improving the air quality in your home.
- A healthier HVAC: You probably didn’t think of your windows and your HVAC as being connected, but in fact they are. Since energy efficient windows get rid of air leaks and drafts and effectively insulate your home, your HVAC doesn’t have to work as hard to maintain a consistent temperature. If your HVAC doesn’t have to strain, it will likely have a longer lifespan.
- Lower energy bills: I sort of alluded to this benefit above, but you better believe that energy efficient windows can save you significant cash. If you are replacing single pane windows, your savings could be anywhere between $130 to $465 per year.
Energy Efficient Window Installation to Qualify for SMUD Rebates
Of course, you can only truly reap the benefits of better windows if they’re properly installed. No matter how energy efficient the windows, poor installation jobs that leave leaks and drafts result in a loss of energy—and can even mean higher energy bills.
That’s why I recommend choosing an experienced contractor and window expert, like the friendly folks at Bell Brothers, to help you choose your windows and install them properly. The great thing about working with Bell Brothers is that we’re also well versed in SMUD energy rebates. That means we’ll be able to help you make sure that you’re eligible for SMUD window rebates before you install new ones. We can also suggest one of the many other rebates and incentive programs that California has to offer so that you can get the best deal for the energy saving projects you want done.
We really are lucky here in Sacramento to have programs like SMUD that offer rebates for windows and other energy efficient home upgrades. After all, we Californians care a lot about the environment—and it is nice to have some incentives that truly do help us contribute to a cleaner, greener world.
At Bell Brothers, our trained window professionals would be delighted to help you select and install energy efficient windows to improve your home’s energy efficiency. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.
Wondering how to finance new windows—or even a furnace or plumbing upgrade? SMUD is a unique financing option that helps California homeowners afford energy efficient upgrades to their home. Contact Bell Brothers, a SMUD-approved contractor, to learn more. Our local window, HVAC, and plumbing specialists will walk you through the entire process, from applications to installation.
Image courtesy Yastremska